Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 3 - A TRUTH of the matter

I "teach" research and I "do" research, but in the grand scheme of things the research I "teach" and "do" is not the research that necessarily moves us forward. Sure, student research projects may spark interest and eventually turn into something momentous, and my statistical research may affect college projects and plans, but I want to participate in research that is meaningful and can make a difference. Often when we teach information literacy and the research process, we are looking for a regurgitation of facts and ideas to back up a predetermined hypothesis. I want to be the one to determine my own hypothesis and to encourage students I encounter to do the same.

Today we went on a quest for the truth, but the truth was not to be found. According to Gillian and Sue, truth is personal and each person's truth is different, therefore I have come to realize that I believe that there cannot possibly be "one truth". I believe that each of us have a version of the truth that works for us at that given time, some truths can last a lifetime, some truths are fleeting. This revelation is exciting for me because it forces me to look at the views and values of others and realize that they may not be coming from things at the same angle I am. This will be helpful for me as I continue to be part of a complex team at work that deals with people from all walks of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment